damaged drywall

Old 09-02-08, 01:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
damaged drywall

I have just removed wallpaper from drywall that previously had panelling on it. When the panelling was removed it took chunks out of the drywall. Trying to polyfill in the gaps and sanding them did not make the wall very smooth. Is there a textured paint that will hide these flaws or some form of faux treatment that you would recommend to cover this? I don't want to put up wallpaper again and would like to utilize the base colour that I have put on the walls.

Old 09-02-08, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Texture can hide minor defects but it isn't a cure all. It would be best to skim coat the wall first. If you do a good job you can leave them slick, if not at least they will look better than just texturing over what you currently have.

Old 09-03-08, 04:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I recently had a similar situation. I had wallpaper on my bathroom walls that have been there since I moved in. It was they vinyl kind which was very hard to removed. After removing the top layer and then finally the paper backing, I see why the previous people put up the wallpaper, to hide the imperfection.

I ended up with large and small spots where the front facing of the drywall came off and showed the brown backing. What I did was first lightly sand the wall to even out the fuzz of the paper drywall. I then went over it with 2 coats of Gardz to seal the wall. After that I skim coat the entire wall with spackling to fill the imperfections and to even out the wall. Once dried, I was able to sand again for a smooth finish. Another coat of Gardz and I was ready to paint.

I think it turned out pretty good for me, but I had to be patient as I had to wait for different things to dry before moving on the the next.

Old 09-04-08, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
just to clarify

Skim coating is done with joint compound -either ready mix or a setting compound
Spackling is only for minor repairs - can not be used to skim coat.

I'm sure twodaend used j/c and not spackling although many homeowners call j/c, spackling and some even call it putty

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: