Texturizing a wall before painting it

Old 09-03-08, 10:19 AM
Texturizing a wall before painting it

I have removed wall paper and applied j/c (Thanks to several postings here - THANK YOU!!) Now I would like to texturize the walls before primering and painting, but not sure what kind of material to use and how to apply it to the walls.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-08, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most textures can be made by thinning down joint compound, usually in the neighborhood of paint consistency, maybe a little thicker. The thinner the j/c - the lighter the texture.

The best most common way to apply texture is with a hopper gun - powered by an air compressor. Orange peel and splatter coats [which can be knocked down] are the most common. It can also be applied with a roller or even a brush. The main thing is to be able to apply a consistent texture over the entire wall.

If you don't like your results, you can scrape/wipe off the texture while wet or sand it off when dry..... and start over

Old 09-03-08, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
What kind of texture do you want?

Old 09-03-08, 03:56 PM
small area?

There now exists "texture in a can" - just spray on, let dry, then paint. Seems to make sense for a small area, expensive for large. I saw it at Home Depot.

Old 09-03-08, 04:32 PM
Thank you for your help. Would one of those sponge rollers be okay to use? And then should I apply a primer before painting? I am assuming yes, but I have never done anything like this before, so I like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

Old 09-04-08, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any type of roller can be used for texture although different covers will produce slightly different textures. I'd suggest experimenting with the roller and j/c thickness before tackling the whole room.

You should always prime texture prior to painting. Most latex primers will do fine. A latex enamel undercoater is best if you intend to use a latex enamel.