Water stain/mildew question

Old 09-17-08, 07:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Water stain/mildew question

Hi. Someone just patched over a water stain on my bathroom ceiling with spackling he is supposed to come back tomorrow to apply the spray acoustic. I have my doubts that this stain was dry and need to know if I am justified. The stain has been there for a few years, but a few days ago I noticed the spray acoustic sagging a bit more, so I checked to see if I could feel moisture. I really couldn't tell, but the sagging stuff was pliable... is that possible if it has been dry for any length of time? As the spackling dries, I've noticed the stain bleeding through, can that happen with a dry stain (I tried to find another post, but although many of them say to seal the stain, I haven't found anything that says a stain can bleed through spackling.
Another thing (not sure if anyone can answer this, but I'm having a hard time finding answers anywhere!), when he first removed the layer and pulled down the wallpaper, I notice black stuff in the corner where the ceiling and wall meet. When I asked him what it was, he said "it's just mildew". When I pushed further to see if it could be a health risk, he answered the same way. I need to know if I should investigate this further and whether I should be alarmed. This person has reason to not fully disclose the truth in this matter, as it will cost him if there is a leak still and/or if the mildew/mold needs to be removed.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone can point me in the right direction on getting answers, I would be extremely appreciative!

Old 09-17-08, 08:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
One, the source of the moisture needs to be eliminated, if not already. Two, sagging drywall should be replaced. Three, the black stuff, whether mold or mildew, should be sprayed with a bleach/water solution to kill it. Four, what you're calling spackling is probably joint compound, but yes, a stain can show through it, so it should be primed with a sealing primer before painting.

Old 09-18-08, 08:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, but since he has already covered up the mildew, I need to know if I should be worried about it as a health threat enough to report it, and if so, who do I report it to? (I'm renting, and the person in question here is actually the owner)

Old 09-19-08, 03:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd wait and see if it comes back. If not, should be no problem. I'm concerned it's going to come back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: