Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Joining backerboard with drywall

NJ

09-23-08, 04:31 PM   #1  
Joining backerboard with drywall

I'm reaplacing about 4' section of wall in the bathroom where it go wet.... I removed the lower 4' section of the wall (old drywall)- Top 4' of the drywall is in tact and fine. Since that bottom portion of the wall tends to get wet more (kids!)- I wanted to make the bottom half tile. Before I do anything with tile- Can I make the bottom half of the wall backboard?
This will mean I will have to join the one piece of backboard to the existing drywall- (then I will tile over the backer)-
Is this doable- or should I install the green sheet rock instead and tile over that? What is recommended to use to join the 2 materials as in tape?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-21-08, 09:22 AM   #2  
Cement board is the preferred substrate for tile. It comes in 3'x5' sections. Greenboard would be ok, assuming this isn't a tub or shower area.

You can use a mesh tape set in durabond or thinset to tape the joints although many just tile over them. Shouldn't be a problem unless a grout joint lies on a backer board joint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread