cracked plaster: omen?

Old 10-04-08, 10:12 AM
cracked plaster: omen?

We recently had our downstairs remodeled. Contractor opened one wall which exposed our furnace chimney which is tied into the main supporting wall for the second floor. He then removed cement and mesh from one side of the chimney (the only side covered with cement) saying that it was put there to buffer the chimney from the particle board-type paneling which came in contact with the chimney. Is there a possibility that the cement and mesh was added to strengthen the chimney? Plaster cracks upstairs appear to slowly be getting bigger. He also raised 1/2 of the second floor floor before putting sister joists in to stop bounce. Should I be concerned? Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure why he removed the stucco and lath

The stucco will strengthen the chimney some but I don't think that it would affect what it supports above. My guess is the jacking up of the floor is the cause of the cracks.

Old 10-04-08, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the materials on the one side of the chimney were actual cement (not plaster) with wire mesh (not lath) embedded in the cement. I wonder how much strength this may have provided and if by removing it, may this have compromised the strength of the chimney which is a key part of the main supporting wall. Ideas? Thanks!!

Old 10-05-08, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wire mesh is the type of lath that is used with stucco [a masonary product similar to mortar]