Plaster Thickness and Trim Plane

Old 10-22-08, 11:42 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plaster Thickness and Trim Plane

I am in the process of removing plaster from 2x4 walls and celing in a two-story Colonial in Albany, NY. I am doing this is order to add insulation--there is currently none.

I will be spraying foam in the wall cavities, then following up with a 1" sheet of TUFF-R Polyisocyanurate Insulation on the two exterior walls (the room is in the corner of the house). I will then add 5/8" gypsum to all walls and ceiling.

I will either be doing the plaster myself (and starting in the closet for practice) or get quotes on getting a contractor to do so.

Several questions:
1. In order to figure out the depth for the window jambs, I need to know how thick the plaster will be when done--I think 1/2" of plaster is standard on gypsum.

2. Should I try to get the final plaster coat exactly level with the window jambs, or do I want the jambs to be a bit proud of the wall?

3. Are there any tricks to avoid cracks -- will more screws per board make a difference? Added framing?

4. Any problem with putting gypsum over the tuff-r?

Thanks for your reponses.

Todd

Old 10-22-08, 04:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to use blue board when you intend to apply a plaster veneer.

I know it's not as nice as plaster but it would be a lot easier to just hang and finish the drywall as opposed to applying a plaster veneer.

Hopefully one of our plaster pros will be along shortly with better/more info for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: