Dry Wall Expansion Joint

Old 10-26-08, 04:51 PM
Dry Wall Expansion Joint

I understand the concept of using an expansion joint, but can you tell me how to install? What does it look like? What is it made of. Live in small town - Lowes is probably the only source to purchase, maybe Sherwin Williams. I need to repair a recurring ceiling crack. I've patched with 6" tape, but the repair doesn't last. There are some structural inadequacies with the house. The bedroom above has heavy cherry floors that were not installed properly. Thanks, Tryanything

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-08, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Is this ceiling plaster or drywall?

Can you futher explain the structure and flooring problems?

Old 10-28-08, 05:14 AM
Expansion Joint

The ceiling is drywall. Thanks.

Old 10-28-08, 05:19 AM
Expansion joint

Sturcture - A second story was added to the house about the area with the crack in the drywall. The original foundation was insufficient for the structure added and the new construction was shottey.
Flooring: Braziliam Cherry hardwood floors were later installed improperly. They are very heavy and are warping. Too much weight.

Old 10-28-08, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't imagine any fix being permament without addressing the underlying foundation and framing problems

I suppose you could cut back the drywall and insert some corner bead, not the normal bead but the kind you use when you stop the drywall short of the end of the wall.... sorry I can't remember what it's called

Old 10-28-08, 07:24 PM
i have found that if u apply this self-sticking wall patch they sell, it works perfect for reoccuring stress cracks. it is made of flimsy metal. it's silver. most hardware type stores have it. u just cut it with scissors to the size u need. apply spackle over it, etc. and you're ready to go.

Old 10-29-08, 04:37 AM
The corner bead your thinking of Marksr is called a Half Bead here. He could fit 2 in to make an expansion joint.

Where they sell stucco products, thats where you will find expansion joints. There are a few different kinds.You want the screened expansion joint for durarock, not the wire mesh for cement stucco or plaster.

I would cut back 2 ft on each side of the crack and replace it with a fresh sheet of drywall. There could be hangers or a beam where the joint is, causeing this crack to re-open. You could then see the stucture flaw and maybe be able to fix it.

Good Luck

Old 10-29-08, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by randy63 View Post
The corner bead your thinking of Marksr is called a Half Bead here. He could fit 2 in to make an expansion joint.

Ya, that's what I was thinking.
Sometimes it's hard to get all that info out of my pea sized brain