Inside corner drywall repair

Old 11-02-08, 11:21 AM
Inside corner drywall repair

Hello:
My downstairs bathroom was the victim of a water leak from the bathroom upstairs. The paint in the downstairs bathroom bubbled away from the drywall, both on the walls and the ceiling. I peeled away the paint and can now see cracks in the drywall joints, both on the walls, ceiling, and the inside corner where the walls meet the ceiling. Any suggestion on how to repair the cracks? I figure that I will need to use drywall tape on the inside corner, but I want to know if I have to somehow pull out the old paper first. I would think that if I just apply new tape to the corner, I will end up with too high a level of joint compound on the walls and ceiling.

What about the cracks on the walls...should I also try to remove the old joint compound and tape first before re-taping?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-08, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on what condition the joint compound and tape is in. Anything loose - needs to be removed!

If the tape is adhered well and intact - there is no need to retape - just add j/c as needed. I wouldn't worry about a build up of j/c in a corner, that's the last place it would be noticed.

Any water stains will need to be sealed with a solvent based primer to prevent them from bleeding thru the finish paint.

Old 11-02-08, 01:21 PM
I should have mentioned that there is actually a visible gab where the wall meets the ceiling...I can put my putty knife through the gap. I presume that just filling the gap with joint compound would not be a permanent fix...I need to tape, right?

Old 11-02-08, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that would need tape. As long as the ripped tape is glued/stuck to the wall well - you can tape over it - should be fine.

Old 11-11-08, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Ya, that would need tape. As long as the ripped tape is glued/stuck to the wall well - you can tape over it - should be fine.
Thanks for the advice...I also have a taped area in the ceiling where two pieces of drywall meet. The water damage caused a crack along the taped seam. Since it is a ceiling, I presume that just putting another piece of tape and joint compound would lead to a visible hump in my ceiling. Is there a best way to dig the old tape out first? Also, in the corners where the walls meet the ceiling and I now have a gap between them, if I want to avoid too-built up a corner, how do I get the corner tape out?
Thanks!

Old 11-11-08, 01:20 PM
You can also apply a bead of caulking in the corner. No need to apply joint compound. This of course assumes that the wall around the crack is OK. The caulking will be flexible and allow for slight shifts between wall and ceiling and will not crack.

Old 11-11-08, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tape at the joint should be removed. You may not need to remove it all, just what's loose - cut the tape with an utility knife to get a clean break.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with a build up of mud. Each coat of j/c will be wider than the previous coat..... and bath rms are typically small enough for you not to get enough of an angled view for it to show.

Search this Thread