Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

to plaster or not to plaster? New Home ????

Old 11-10-08, 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a house and the walls were quite messy , after having filled the holes , sanded down etc , if i now paint over it , it will look weird due to the different textures. There is paint on some walls still and now polllyfiler sanded spots in places..

I dont have the time or money to re plaster all the walls , a friend was saying he could put a really thin layer of plaster [or something] over the walls to make it more uniform.

Is this correct , what else can i do without replastering to make the wall look reasonable , i dont mind uneveness , but different textures will really stand out after its painted...
??????????????????????????????????????

any suggestions. help..........

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 03:04 PM
I suggest a decent primer like Killz. A decent primer will hide most of the inconsistencies like texture. For areas where there is paint pealing feather in joint compound to make smooth transitions.

Use flat enamel paint for the final coat.

Old 11-10-08, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe what you friend is suggesting is to skim coat the walls. Basically you scuff sand the walls and then apply a thin layer of joint compound. The skim coat would then be sanded, primed and painted.

Primer/paint is thin compared to j/c and while it alone may help a little - most defects will still be apparent.

BTW - welcome to the forums!