Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HELP...knock down in a wall border location with existing knockdown.

11-28-08, 11:05 AM   #1  
HELP...knock down in a wall border location with existing knockdown.

Bought a house last year and I am ready to repaint the master bedroom.

However, where the border was is straight drywall/plaster. Below it the walls have a nice knockdown finish.

Is there a way to 'match' it or am I stuck with going with another border or sanding down everything and re-starting ....

My master bath was not done very well either, it's pretty small so the work here can be easily isolated and vented out. The walls were textured but appeared to be repaired after this (a few flat spots, some runs)...I plan to sand these down and re do them...the ceiling was originally popcorn and near the edges of some repairs it was reapplied too thick..I am going to scrape and finish smooth.

What's the best way to handle this? I do own an air compressor (Craftsman 26 gallon, 160psi, 1.6HP? rated).

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-28-08, 03:37 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Usually the walls are textured prior to any wallpaper or border being applied. if the wall was properly primed, the wallpaper border should remove leaving the texture intact.

Knock down texture is fairly easy to do, especially if you have a hopper [texture] gun to spray it. Basically you thin down joint compound, spray a splatter coat and before the splatter coat dries - knock it down with a wide knife. it may take a little practice to get the j/c mixture correct along with the right spray nozzle and air pressure to match what was done before.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-19-08, 02:19 PM   #3  
Posted By: marksr Welcome to the forums!

Usually the walls are textured prior to any wallpaper or border being applied. if the wall was properly primed, the wallpaper border should remove leaving the texture intact.

Knock down texture is fairly easy to do, especially if you have a hopper [texture] gun to spray it. Basically you thin down joint compound, spray a splatter coat and before the splatter coat dries - knock it down with a wide knife. it may take a little practice to get the j/c mixture correct along with the right spray nozzle and air pressure to match what was done before.
U might also want to get yourself a large dummy piece of wallboard to practice on. If U don't like the pattern the hopper is giving U, readjust your air, scrap the crap off and try again. Better to get the hang of it on a scrap piece than in your home.

12-24-08, 08:13 PM   #4  
hope your problem is solved, if not here is my 2 cents worth. the knock down in plaster and drywall gives two different looks. if it is plaster it was probably applied by hand with what amounts to a car wash mit. if it is drywall then it was srayed on and knocked down like the otehr gent. said. if you want to come close to the plaster there are a couple of things you can do. 1-using dw compound you can add some silica sand to it, and then take a sponge and apply it to the wall. you want it stiff enough to be able to stand up, but not so loose that it runs. if you apply it with the sponge you "tap" on it to make it stand up. then after it has dried enough you knock it down with a trowel. 2-purchse a bag of the one coat veneer finish plaster system, add the silica sand and apply in the same way. dw compound will be less $. good luck.

Search this Thread