Using Adhesive on Drywall

Old 11-29-08, 04:20 PM
Using Adhesive on Drywall

Hello,
I am going to put up drywall over paneling in a double wide mobile home on a basement.

It is an older home and I believe the walls are constructed of 1x3's. So I have two questions.

1. Can I use construction adhesive to put up the drywall? The thought of trying to use screws and hit 1x3's is not looking easy.

2. If I do use adhesive, would you recommend 1/2 drywall or 3/8? The price differs is only .30cents a sheet. I was thinking that 1/2 would be stronger and easier to finish.

Any other recommendations are always appreciated.
Thanks,
Norm

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The exterior walls should be either 2x4 or 2x2. I've never seen a MH that had 1xs on the exterior walls. Interior walls are another story. I've seen 1x2, 1x4, and 2x2 on the interior walls - all in the same MH. The bottom stud wall plate is almost always a 1x. The common wall on a double wide is normally a 2x3. Generally they use what ever work best [for them] on the interior walls.... at least I think that is their SOP

I don't think there would be any finishing differences between the 3/8 and the 1/2 since you are installing it over paneling. I used to look at 3/8 as being cheap but now that I'm older [w/bad back] I like the fact that it isn't quite as heavy

Adhesive is almost always a plus but you still have to mechanically [screw/nail] secure the drywall to the wall - you just don't need to use as many.