Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Changing drywall textur with existing orange peel texture

Old 12-08-08, 07:56 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have done this a few places in my house, with a great amount of trouble so far. Basically I have a whole house orange peel texture. I am going rustic with lots of wood and getting rid of a good amount of the drywall already but I am going to skip trowel texture that I am good at. Anyways here is what I have done unsuccessfully in my first two attempts.

1) Put joint compound smoothed over orange peel texture (painted) to remove orange peel and back to baseline, but the paint / joint compound reacted together and bubbled. So I did a second coat - same result with less bubbles. Then I paid one of my laborers to sand the bubbles and fill the abscesses with spackle.

2) This time I decided about the same whole process but put PVA primer a good solid coat over the paint and I still had lots of problems with bubbling.

OK now I'm here for your guys advice, basically I feel it at the amount of work I am going to get a good finished product I would be better off 1/4" drywalling the whole rooms I am planning on doing next. But I am guessing there is an easier way. Basically I need a product/install technique that will seal the paint from the compound and prevent the bubbling effect this should be an 'easy' job but is proving to be a PITA!

Please help! Thanks in advance for the great replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What type of paint is currently on the walls?
I've run across some builders that would skip the primer and apply a cheap flat latex directly to the texture. These paint jobs are seldom washable in fact it isn't uncommon for some one to wash the walls and remove paint and texture

I don't know if it would be feasable to try and wash the paint and texture off of the walls. Probably the best solution would be to apply an oil base primer and then mud, prime and paint over it. The biggest drawback to laminating the walls with 1/4" is you would need to alter all your woodwork to fit

Old 12-09-08, 08:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the paint was well done benjamin moore latex. i believe it has been primed some rooms have two coats of paint on the wall.

thanks for the response we are going to do some test areas later this week!