Low dust joint compound

Old 12-08-08, 02:01 PM
Low dust joint compound

I am posting this as an informative warning regarding low dust joint compound. I hired a painting contractor to perform interior painting of the gypsum wallboard in my home. He purchased USG Low Dust Joint Compound to repair cracks and nail pops. I had no imput in the choice of this material and he later admited to having never used it before.

There were two issues that arose from the use of this product.

First, the sanding of this product does not produce less dust, nor does the manufacturer claim it makes less dust. The manufacturer indicates that the dust is heavier than standard joint compound dust and will settle out of the air more readily. My complaint was that I had as much dust distributed around my house as would have resulted from standard joint compound. If you use this product, do not expect it to be a cleaner project. It will not be cleaner.

Secondly, after the compound cured, the painter primed it and then painted it, allowing drying time of one day in between (during heating season). The patches showed through. So he painted it again. The patches showed through. So he primed it again and painted it again. The patches showed through. Finally he stopped and contacted USG and the paint manufacturer (a national reputible manufacturer). While USG denied that a problem existed with the appearance, everyone else aknowledged the problem. It was undeniable noticeable but the USG rep somehow couldn't see it. He said it was the light reflecting off of the snow outside the windows. Although everyone agreed that it wasn't a paint problem, the paint manufacturer gave the painter, at no cost, oil base primer to use. The painter used the oil base primer and repainted again. This time the patches did not show through the paint. My cursory investigation indicated that there is something added to this low dust joint compound (possibly parafin) that resists the absorption of water based primers and paints. USG denies that the compound is not compatible with water based paints and primers.

Be careful using these products, or be prepared to use oil based primers.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I recently bought a bucket of the low dust and agree there is no significant difference in the amount of sanding dust. While sanding does a better job than a wet sponge, I'll often use a sponge in an occupied dwelling for the sole reason of keeping the dust and clean up to a minimum. I recently made repairs on a bath and kitchen replumb job and had no problems at all with the primer and paint. I used SWP's preprite latex primer and the top coat was their cheaper line of promar 400 eggshell - what was currently on the walls.

I'm not sure why your painter had the issues with coverage.