Metal Corner Bead Popped - How to Repair?

Old 12-10-08, 07:37 AM
Metal Corner Bead Popped - How to Repair?

We are fixing up our house of issues due to settling. It is approximately 26 years old and I have never noticed any problems until this year. I have two metal cornerbeads on the drywall that have popped enough to see the verticle line about 1" away from corner going from floorboard to ceiling. What is the easiest way to fix this? I was thinking caulking, putting more texture and then repainting the room. I haven't noticed any change in the last 6 months, so I believe the shifting is finished. We also have a couple areas where the "potshelves" covering the a/c ducts have cracked in the drywall where it intersects to the walls. I temporarily filled these, but will fix these next month when we start the makeover.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-08, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally cracks are best taped and mudded. The tape helps to keep the crack from coming back. I doubt you could get an invisible repair with caulking but other than that it should be ok. If the corner bead is loose, it should be renailed to prevent further cracking.

Old 12-19-08, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by KiltedGnome View Post
We are fixing up our house of issues due to settling. It is approximately 26 years old and I have never noticed any problems until this year. I have two metal cornerbeads on the drywall that have popped enough to see the verticle line about 1" away from corner going from floorboard to ceiling. What is the easiest way to fix this? I was thinking caulking, putting more texture and then repainting the room. I haven't noticed any change in the last 6 months, so I believe the shifting is finished. We also have a couple areas where the "potshelves" covering the a/c ducts have cracked in the drywall where it intersects to the walls. I temporarily filled these, but will fix these next month when we start the makeover.
I'd use fiberglass tape on the cracks. I'd also use it on the cornerbead after U re-nail it. If it popped once it'll do it again if U don't use the tape, guaranteed. Fiberglass tape is much easier to hide than paper tape because U don't have to put mud under it and the mud feathers the edge of it much easier.

Search this Thread