Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can you still buy plaster?

PA

12-12-08, 05:37 AM   #1  
Can you still buy plaster?

Hello, I was wondering if plaster is still readily available or what works best for replastering? My problem is I have a very uneven surface that was plastered probably 75 years ago that I need to replaster or fix somehow. I did buy some plaster patching/drywall mix that I THINK may work? It's made for drywall seams and filling holes and cracks in plaster. I just wasn't sure if I could spread this stuff on as thick as it was as a base or? What it will be going over is lathe and plaster. To be exact, it's the bottom of stairwell. All help is greatly appreciated as usual!! Thanks! Jack:Homer:

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-12-08, 12:07 PM   #2  
Hey Jack, I don't know much about actual plaster [hopefully one of the plaster pros will chime in later] but I often use durabond [a setting compound] to repair plaster. Exactly what did you buy to use on the walls? is it a setting compound? or ready mix joint compound?

Is the lath exposed? if so, how much?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

12-12-08, 12:23 PM   #3  
Hey Mark, Thanks for the reply. It's a ready mix joint compound. I also have a large, very rough plaster joint about a foot and half wide in the stairwell I have to cover and smooth out somehow. If someone knows of an exact brand that works ,let me know. I pretty much do all my shopping at Lowes. I know people on here are very helpful and knowledgeable, as I have been a frequent poster for years under cycles, furnace repair, etc.. I'm sure I will need a lot of advice as my mother recently passed away and I inherited her 100 year old house that needs a lot of work! I have until summer, so I decided to do the best I can at fixing it up over the winter.I'm gonna need a lot of help, so I hope you guys don't mind! So hopefully I'll have a lot of advice! Thanks again! Jack

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-12-08, 02:00 PM   #4  
Most of the plaster repairs I've done has been with using durabond. It's similiar to joint compound but it comes in powder form [bag] and you mix it with water and have a set time period to use it. It dries chemically [j/c air dries] so it isn't prone to crack/shrink as it dries which j/c will do if applied too thick. With durabond, the lower the number the less time you have to work with. I prefer the sudden bond/20 minute because of the quick turn around but it might be easier on you to use the 90 minute mud. The # refers to the working/drying time although it will set up in your mud pan quicker than the # states. Throw away any un used mixed mud - it won't keep and will harden. Easy Sand is another brand of setting compound - I've not used it much and contrary to the name - it doesn't sand easy. Setting compounds should be in the drywall section of lowes although I normally get mine at the paint store.

I usually use regular j/c on the final coat because it sands real easy

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

12-15-08, 07:12 PM   #5  
Hey Mark, You were right about the joint compound! LOL I went down to the house today and I had spread it on really thick the other night. Sure enough, it was already cracking! Good thing it sands easy Anyway, I got the kind you mix and put a few coats on today. Gonna go down tomorrow and see what it looks like. Probably need another coat. Thanks as always! Jack

01-04-09, 08:14 PM   #6  
Free plaster help

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share that there is a website of old historic trade manuals & books scanned in to access for free. There is one on plastering. This might have the detail instructions you are looking for. It is at Old World Skills.

Just a thought,

Paul

01-04-09, 08:51 PM   #7  
just a note;

yes, plaster is still available and it is a ***** to sand because you are not supposed to sand it. You finish it with a trowel to a burnished finish and leave it alone. If you believe you will need to sand, the durabond is a better way to go.

PA

01-05-09, 04:42 AM   #8  
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'll go with the Durabond. I just got done scraping wallpaper off of the bathroom wall and man do I have a lot of plaster to fix there!
Jack

CAL

01-05-09, 01:19 PM   #9  
Jack,
If you use Durabond make sure that you leave it finished really well. It gets so hard that it is next to impossible to sand.
Plastering is not typically a skill for an amateur. Patching nicks, dings and dents in plaster walls is probably best done with a softer setting type joint compound like EasySand by USG or Sta Smooth by Pro Form. There are other brands. The number on the lable; 5, 20 90 Etc is the set time in minutes. Seems like one of teh brands does in in hours with a decimal like 1.5 = 90 minutes. Don't mix more than you can get on the wall in the time on the label.

Nap is correct about sanding plaster. It should not be done because it should not be necessary.

Marksr's advice about regular mud is very good especially if you use Durabond. What ever you do don't build up the Durabond beyond the existing plaster. It's better to need two coats of all purpose to finish filling it out than to try to sand Durabond flush. In fact Durabond is so hard that you will probably sand the existing plaster finish before you touch the Durabond. Then you are worse off than when you started.

Let us know what you learn from this project. It's always good to hear from satisfied or educated customers.

PA

01-09-09, 12:36 AM   #10  
Thanks Tight, Nice to hear from a plaster pro.! I'll let you know how I make out when I get to the plastering. For now I'm just patching holes and such. Thanks again! Jack

IL

01-15-09, 02:28 PM   #11  
plaster

Yes you can buy plaster use white lime and all depends how much you need i would put about a 1/4 of lime in a 5 gal. bucket pit enough water in it to make like soft ice cream and let it soak for a day mix up real good if you have a screen mix in some hardner and screen it through the screen to get all the lumps out and when you are putting on just keep troweling it and every once in a while hit with somwe water and keep troweling the plaster until you are satisfied

Search this Thread