Sanding Walls

Old 01-08-09, 08:57 AM
Sanding Walls

Hello,

We want to sand the texture (knockdown) off our walls for an even flat surface. There are is about 4 coats of latex over the drywall that would have to be cut through. We would get a Porter Cable vacum wall sander (7800) for this. Any idea how long this will take per 10' x 10' section of wall and what we are getting ourselves into?

Thanks,

--David

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint is a lot harder to sand than joint compound or texture. Your best bet would be to lighly skim coat the walls with joint compound and then sand, prime and paint.

Old 01-13-09, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your comment. I took some sections of drywall that where removed and tested sanding it with my Porter Cable random orbit sander (no vacum) and it was a pain. Even just toning down the texure on a 2'x2' sqaure was difficult. I am having difficulty imagining sanding the whole house with that method.

As you suggested I lightly coated another piece with plaster and that was a lot easier and it looks like it will soften the texture like we want. At this point we are not going for perfectly smooth walls.

My question is can I expect a light coat of plaster to adhere to the underlayer of latex paint? If I put a light coat on and paint over it, am I creating the condition for a lot of misery inthe form of cracking and peeling?

Thanks,

--David

Old 01-13-09, 04:17 PM
As long as it fully dries before you go for the primer and paint I'd think you'll be alright. You may find the mud contracting in the thicker areas...

Old 01-14-09, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume you are using joint compound and not actual plaster. General purpose joint compound usually adheres fine to painted drywall.

Old 01-14-09, 07:14 AM
Yes, I mean drywall compound.

Any particular kind would be stonger? I think the vynl patch is strong somewhat flexible and might be a good choice though a bit more expensive. Thoughts?

Thanks,

--David

Old 01-14-09, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The regular j/c with the green lid adheres the best and is recomended for taping. The light weight j/c sand easier and are usually used for the top coats. Is the vinyl patch, j/c or spackling? Spacklings aren't suitable for large areas.

Search this Thread