skimming over flaked paint

Old 02-09-09, 06:13 PM
Red face skimming over flaked paint

The problem began when we removed the wallpaper from our bathroom walls to find that the walls had not been prepared prior to hanging the paper and it was put directly on new drywall.

We sanded, used Kilz, and then painted the walls. Everything was fine for about a couple of months. Then the paint started flaking and peeling up. We assume that we didn't sand well enough and there was still wallpaper glue on the walls before we painted.

We have scraped and sanded extensively, and spackled some of the worst areas. Thinking it was ready, we began to prime with 1-2-3 primer, only to have some of the paint start to flake off onto the roller. This is where we are.

We now think that the solution is to skim the walls. I have checked out some of the threads with similar problems.
questions:
the walls are sanded, spackled and wiped down. will the skimming take over them?
the plan is to use the light weight all purpose joint compound. is this the right choice?
if so, should it be used as is or should it be thinned a little with water?

Are we on the right track or should we be doing something else?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by southernlady; 02-09-09 at 06:43 PM. Reason: wasn't finished, hit a wrong key
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-09, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Which kilz did you use? original oil base? or latex?

It would probably be best to prime the walls first with zinnser's gardz or an oil base primer - assuming you have removed any loose paint.

Light weight should be fine for skim coat and a little water, mixed well will make it easier to apply

Old 02-10-09, 05:32 AM
Thanks soooo much, Marksr, for your time and expertise.

The kilz was oil based, followed by latex paint. Is this where we went wrong?

When I got the zinnser 1-2-3 (latex), I almost went with the zinnser gardz but the guy at the big box paint dept. said the gardz was to prep for wallpaper, so I opted for the 1-2-3, since I only wanted to paint it.

I will go with the gardz. I suppose I could use the 1-2-3 to primer over the skim? How many coats of primer should I use before I paint the new skimcoat?

Once again, thanks so much for your time and have a great day!

Old 02-10-09, 05:37 AM
Oh yes, one other thing I am wondering about. Is the weather a factor in doing the skimcoat or primer? It's not cold, but rain is a possibility in the next few days.
Thanks!!

Old 02-10-09, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The oil base kilz is ok - the latex kilz has adhesion problems.

Gardz will help to lock the previous finish in place. 1 coat is plenty, same thing for priming over the j/c. As long as everything is coated, it's rarely neccesary to apply a 2nd coat of primer.

As long as you have the HVAC system running or the room stays 60` or warmer - the weather shouldn't be an issue. Cool or damp temps will slow the drying process but shouldn't have any adverse affect on the job.

Old 02-10-09, 02:45 PM
Once again, thank you Marksr. I feel like we are on the right track now. Now all we need is to find the time to get back to it!! Hopefully it will be sooner than later. I am excited that I happened on this website. I hope that my problem and your responses will be helpful to someone else too.
Thanks again. Have a blessed evening.