Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clay soil, presistant drywall cracks

04-25-09, 07:08 AM   #1  
Clay soil, presistant drywall cracks

Is there a product that can be used to fill drywall cracks, up to 1/8" wide, that wil expand and contract somewhat to help eliminate drywall cracks due to movement of slab on clay soil?

Sponsored Links

ME

04-25-09, 07:21 AM   #2  
That's a tough one. First it shouldn't be moving, so can you explain what is moving.

I know of nothing flexible enough to fill and hide that. A piece of trim or perhaps some selected wall paper.

Bud

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-25-09, 08:59 AM   #3  
Caulking might work but it won't look all that good
As noted wallpaper will hide the cracks to a point. It might be a good idea to start saving up to address the foundation issues.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

05-02-09, 08:25 AM   #4  
They make a control joint here is a link so you can see them. We use the 093 V all the time on jobs but the hideaway one might be better for a residential application Hamilton Drywall Products

KS

05-02-09, 09:42 AM   #5  
You don't need something to expand and contract with movement. You need something to hold the wall together. Screw as much as you can around the crack. V out the crack and fill with 20 min quick set mud. Then tape with paper tape over the crack. Then you can finish with light weight.

I know what the problem is. The ground moves so much that it moves the house around. That repair will fix it.

Search this Thread