Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Failing at patching knockdown texture

05-11-09, 04:17 PM   #1  
Failing at patching knockdown texture

So I'm an idiot and punched a whole in a wall one fine evening. Since then, I have learned my lesson by having lots of trouble matching up the texture when patching. Being the amateur I am, I first paid a "professional" to come and do it. I wanted it to look perfect and had no problem shelling out the cash for it. However, this guy turned out to be a joke. $70 and the texture was utter crap. I ended up sanding it down and trying to do it myself. After several tries, this is what I came up with:

Few feet back:

Up close:

Up close of an untouched area for comparison:

I don't think its terrible, but I wish it was better. I've been using

I've been using this:

I just can't seem to get a coarse enough texture using this spray can. The stuff just isn't thick enough.

So, any thoughts? Any other products I can try? I'm hesitant to try another "pro" with my last experience, but is this my only option for success?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

CAL

05-11-09, 04:57 PM   #2  
I use 20 minute or 40 minute mud depending on the size of the patch. I dip my dash brush into the mud and then flick the mud from the brush with my hand. If you don't have a dash brush use a whisk broom. Just as it sets knock it down. My patches are pretty near invisible to everyone but myself and the owner. I tell them that someone walking in off the street should not be able to find them and that is about as good as one can hope for.

When I am doing an orange peel or a little heavier spatter texture that is not knocked down I've had pretty good luck with the can texture. Not so for knockdown.

05-11-09, 06:30 PM   #3  
Posted By: tightcoat I use 20 minute or 40 minute mud depending on the size of the patch. I dip my dash brush into the mud and then flick the mud from the brush with my hand. If you don't have a dash brush use a whisk broom. Just as it sets knock it down. My patches are pretty near invisible to everyone but myself and the owner. I tell them that someone walking in off the street should not be able to find them and that is about as good as one can hope for.

When I am doing an orange peel or a little heavier spatter texture that is not knocked down I've had pretty good luck with the can texture. Not so for knockdown.
I saw you mentioned this technique in another thread. It seems like there would be a difficult learning curve with this (the type of thing that takes lots of practice to get right). I'm not going to lie, with no wall-patching experience prior to this, that technique sounds over my head.

CAL

05-11-09, 10:40 PM   #4  
You might try spraying the knockdown, letting it dry then shaving off the points. I haven't done it this way but it might work.

Search this Thread