Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing textured wall after glue removal

05-23-09, 05:38 AM   #1  
Repairing textured wall after glue removal

I am removing a 5' x 5' area of cork board which was glued to a textured wall probably 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I've used a scraper for most of the job and the wall paint is coming off with the cork. The glue is coming off with vinegar and water and a good scrub so I don't think there will be any glue residue, but I am left with a textured wall that's pockmarked with small areas where the paint peeled off. Most areas are small and still have some texture to them.

I would appreciate a suggestion as to how to patch the very thin spots - should I sand the entire area and re-texturize? (I'm concerned that if I do this, I'll need to sand and texture the entire wall for consistency.) Or do you think I could simply fill in the small spaces with texture, and if I do, is there a texture that's very light and would go on thin since the "pockmarks" are very thin, almost look like the paint just peeled off?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-23-09, 06:25 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

What type of texture is on the walls?

Could you post a pic or 2 using a free site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ?

It's hard to say without more info what it would take to fix the wall. It may be as simple as dabbing a little texture on the affected spots or it might mean skim coating the 5x5 area and retexturing the whole section.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

05-24-09, 06:53 AM   #3  
Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, I can't post images at the moment but might be able to later today. I think I might be able to get away with just priming the wall but I'm not so sure because some of the pock mocks seem a bit deep, though for the most part, the marks look like areas where paint chipped off but there is still some texture to it (it's not totally smooth). I don't know the type of texture but from what I've seen online, it's not orange peel or knockout - probably it's a hand texture because you can see the brush swirls. It was done in the 80's when the house was built, if that helps.

Can you tell me a bit about skim coating?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-24-09, 11:24 AM   #4  
Skim coating is the process of applying a thin coat of joint compound to the entire wall/area. Rarely does a coat or 2 of paint make chipped or recessed areas disappear. These areas usually need j/c or spackling to fill the depression and then often a little texture so the slick repair isn't noticable.

I've never really done any swirl texturing but basically you thin joint compound to about thick paint consisentcy and apply it with a stiff brush. It might be possible to drag a brush over the wet mud and give it a texture as you patch.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

05-31-09, 04:54 AM   #5  
I decided to simply prime the area and paint over it to see how it did, figuring I could always go back and skim/re-texture if needed. But it looks okay - a few rough spots but generally not anything others would notice unless staring at it. I will just have to find a nice large picture to hang over it :-) Thanks again for your help, MarkSR!

Search this Thread