Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sealing Shower From Mildew

06-20-09, 06:46 PM   #1  
Sealing Shower From Mildew

Purchased new townhome in Jan 2008. Cleaning the shower has been a disgusting tasks for me as I have a plastic shower, XXX. In between the shower base and tray is gunk which I can't really get to. I am assuming its from the steam and water and from time to time the condensation on the base will drip down and some of what I think is "mold" falls into the shower itself - bits and pieces of gunk. I wonder if this is due to the contractors placing the base and tray inside of the bathroom without extra attention. What can I do to prevent this any further? Can I seal the shower from any further mildew/mold or is this far more technical?

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

06-21-09, 06:09 AM   #2  
I lived in a place with one of those plastic showers. I was constantly cleaning mold with bleach, tilex & all the rest. Now that I think of it, I probably should have used a pressure washer on it. I don't know if there is any sealer for that. I'm not a fan of sealers anyway.

What kind of exhaust fan is in the bathroom & do you use it?

06-22-09, 09:14 AM   #3  
I do not ever use my exhaust fan fan. I have no idea what type it is either. I do apologize.

Super Moderator

AZ

06-22-09, 09:45 AM   #4  
But you do have SOME sort of exhaust fan? You need to use it, the standard recommendation is to run it for 15-20 min after showering to remove humidity.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Temporarily Suspended

NY

06-23-09, 05:23 AM   #5  
Use it during the shower, not just after.

Search this Thread