drywall problem

Old 06-26-09, 07:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall problem

does anyone know of a good website that shows pictures of common drywall problems???

my inlaws have an entire wall (it is an exterior wall) that has one window...below the window and on up about 4 feet above are the problems...the paint is chipping off in 1 inch pieces...the surface is really bumpy (not smooth)...i can't really tell what is going on...

if i take pictures of the problem, what do i need to do so people can see them on the forum???

Old 06-26-09, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Post the photos to a file sharing website. Photobucket or Picasa, etc. It sounds to me like water intrusion from the siding, or window installation... likely from a window, roofline or penetration that is ABOVE the window where the damage is showing up.

Old 06-27-09, 04:57 AM
thanks...

after looking over it again last night, some of it takes on texture similar to alligator skin...i said last night bumpy, but i think alligator skin my give a better picture...

i will try to take photos and post somewhere...

thanks...

Old 06-27-09, 05:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It might be a knockdown texture.... pics are always helpfull

Old 06-27-09, 06:25 AM
it is not a textured wall...all the walls in this house are smooth...this is a problem in this one area...i will work on getting some pictures...

Old 06-27-09, 07:33 AM
http://sheetrockpictures.shutterfly.com/

alright...try the link above to see pics of my problem...

the wall in question is an exterior wall...there is window above some of the damage, but more damage is above the window to the right...

Old 06-27-09, 11:29 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Simple fix but you need to correct the cause.

This looks like a moisture problem from inside. The reason I think this is because there does not seem to be the staining that would be typical of the damage from a leak.

How old is the house? Is there insulation in the walls? Is it possible that the insulation was damage or removed in the affected area's?

What room is this?
Might also be a poor priming job.

Might be that dust was on the drywall panels and not removed prior to painting.

The painters among us may have some other ideas.

Old 06-27-09, 12:37 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've had to repair that very type damage caused buy a few unrelated problems: window a/c leaking back, instead of to the outside.

Another cause at another place was leaky window sills.

Another house had a leak from exterior eaves where water entered the interior by the top framing plate area and soaked the insulation and caused mildew-mold in the wall. Had to pull it all out, wear mask, clean it all up including the fungal growth and powder, spray on bleach, set up fan to dry for days, after dry put in new insulation and vapor barrier and resheetrock. And had the roof drip edging and first shingle courses done right, to prevent this from happening again, including from icedaming.

In the case of an OLD a/c installation problem, simply required scraping off the alligatored paint and mud-skimmed the area, and let it go at that.

Old 06-27-09, 04:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The lack of water stains makes me think the paint was applied over some type of contamiment. Scrape off everything that's loose and rub your finger a cross the wall/ceiling, if it comes back clean, you are good to go. If you get any dust on your finger, prime with either an oil base primer or zinnser's gardz. It should then be ready to patch, prime and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: