Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ceilimg sagging

07-19-09, 08:24 AM   #1  
ceilimg sagging

I just removed an old popcorn texture from my bedroom ceiling. I sanded cleaned and primed the surface. I then applied a textured ceiling using drywall compound thin a little with water. I applied it pretty thick because we wanted a rough look. I noticed a couple of days latter after the ceiling had dryed completely that it was sagging in between the jocies. Any sugesttions on what has happened and what I need to do to level out the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

07-19-09, 09:24 AM   #2  
This is purely a guess.

You may only have 1/2 sheetrock on the ceiling, when you put the thick coat of thinned compound on there, the rock absorbed some of the moisture and softened enough to sag from the weight.

If this is below an attic, you may also have a vapor barrier which would have held moisture in the rock.

As I said Just a guess..no clue on a fix.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

MN

07-19-09, 09:42 AM   #3  
If it was not sagging before you started, or you did not see after removal of the popcorn (popcorn texture can hide a lot of defects), then I would bet Gunguy is correct.

Sadly, the fix you are not going to like. You either have to remove the Sheetrock and reinstall 5/8" or put another layer of 1/2" or better yet 5/8" rock. IMO, no matter what the spacing is of the framing, 5/8" should always be put on a ceiling.

07-19-09, 09:57 AM   #4  
Posted By: Gunguy45 This is purely a guess.

You may only have 1/2 sheetrock on the ceiling, when you put the thick coat of thinned compound on there, the rock absorbed some of the moisture and softened enough to sag from the weight.

If this is below an attic, you may also have a vapor barrier which would have held moisture in the rock.

As I said Just a guess..no clue on a fix.
yes this below an attic that has an ac unit in it. I though there mihgt be a moisture promlem but it had no signs of water damage on the underside of ceiling. This is the 3rd room I have done and this is the only one I have had a promblem with.

WA

07-19-09, 12:56 PM   #5  
Check the AC drain line to see if it is plugged and spilling onto the ceiling. As Gunguy said- v.b. installed?

1. Was the sag noticable before you textured?

2. Did you use a water based primer or an oil based? To block the texture moisture from being absorbed by the drywall.

3. Do you have access to a moisture meter to check the wetness of the ceiling material?

4. Can you push the whole ceiling section up with movement even at the nails? Or just between ceiling joists?

Be safe, G

07-19-09, 03:08 PM   #6  
I usead a water based primer I don't have acess to a moisture meter. the sag wasn't noticable before I textured. The panels will move slightly between joist. The sag isn't noticeable in the day time only at night with the light on

QUOTE=GBR in WA;1595357]Check the AC drain line to see if it is plugged and spilling onto the ceiling. As Gunguy said- v.b. installed?

1. Was the sag noticable before you textured?

2. Did you use a water based primer or an oil based? To block the texture moisture from being absorbed by the drywall.

3. Do you have access to a moisture meter to check the wetness of the ceiling material?

4. Can you push the whole ceiling section up with movement even at the nails? Or just between ceiling joists?

Be safe, G[/QUOTE]

WA

07-19-09, 05:23 PM   #7  
Is the AC unit hanging from the trusses or rafters? Or is it on added joists, a bigger size than the others? Be safe, G

Search this Thread