Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching Ceiling Hole?

08-14-09, 07:49 PM   #1  
Patching Ceiling Hole?

Hi all - I'm a relative newbie to home repair, but willing to give any repair a try. Bought a home a few months ago and need to patch a drywall hole in a closet ceiling. We saw the hole when we bought it and the previous owners said they had made it to help see if central air would be possible in the house. Anyway... The hole is a roughly square cut hole measuring about 10" X 10". The cut-out is still in the closet and "fits" back in the hole, but of course it won't stay. A friend suggested just taping it up but I think there is a better solution out there. So, can I re-use the cut-out in some way? Can I use a drywall wire mesh repair kit that I've seen for walls on a ceiling? Other options? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-15-09, 04:11 AM   #2  
Take a 1x piece of wood longer than the hole and insert it into the hole so you can secure it to the drywall on both sides of the hole with drywall screws. Depending on how accessable it is you might want to install a 2nd piece of wood the same way. Then it's just a matter of screwing the old 'square' piece of drywall to the new piece of wood.

After the drywall is replaced, mud and tape the joints, let dry and then apply another coat or two of joint compound. If the repair needs to be textured, we can help you with that also - just let us know what type of texture you have.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread