Question on drywall patch.

Old 08-24-09, 07:56 PM
Question on drywall patch.

I had a hole about 4''x8'' in the wall and sliped a 1x4 in the hole and screwed it in for support, the way I patched it was I took a piece of drywall a little bigger than the hole and broke the edges off and mudded it, if your a experinced patcher then you know what I mean, the problem I have is part of it is sticking out a little, the feathering of the edges look really good but I dont like the part thats stiking out, it will not sand down like the mud sanded down so I am sure it is the sheetrock patch I used, could I use a real course piece of sand paper and take it down, if so what would I do then, would I need to sand it smooth and just primer it before spraying the orange peal on or would I need to thinly mud it, sand it and then primmer it and then orange peal it.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-09, 11:40 PM
I would just cut out the offending section "bump-out", and insert a new square of drywall in its place.

Old 08-25-09, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Is it the drywall itself? or the mud that protrudes? Was the scrap piece of drywall you inserted the same thickness as the drywall on the wall?

You can sand as long as you don't sand into or thru the drywall paper. Have you tried floating the patch out further?

Old 08-25-09, 10:32 AM
Do you mean you left paper flanges around the new piece to lap over the existing?

Did you make sure to get all the gypsum core off the flange?
A crumb of the core would cause a small section to stick out. If that is the case just cut that part out and mud over it. sand and paint.

If I really want to make a small patch flat using the butterfly patch, I also take the face texture and top layers of paper off of the existing surrounding wall about as wide as the flanges on the new piece. That way the new piece ends up flush with the existing or slightly recessed. Remember if it is shallow you can always add another coat; if it is proud all more mud does is make it project even more.

Old 08-25-09, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by tightcoat View Post
If I really want to make a small patch flat using the butterfly patch, I also take the face texture and top layers of paper off of the existing surrounding wall about as wide as the flanges on the new piece. That way the new piece ends up flush with the existing or slightly recessed.
Wow. You have to come over and do my drywall. Nice work.

Old 08-25-09, 08:41 PM
It is not the mud cause the mud sands very easy, It is the piece of drywall patch I installed, I have 1/2 walls and that is the thickness I used for the patch, I dont know what the heck happened, one side of the patch is really good and the other side is sticking out, what happens if I get some course sand paper and sand it into the drywall paper to level it out, it's either do that or cut it out and start over or go ahead and spray it with texture and see how noticable it is, dang I hate trying to be a perfectionist.

Thanks guys for your help.

Old 08-25-09, 09:57 PM
I'd cut it out. Then check and make sure your 1 X 4 is in there flat and not tipped. Cut the new patch a little small all the way around and fill that gap with mud. If you cit ti to fit too tightly you might not be able to get it in flush and that could be the reason it's tipped. There could be a piece of rock from the existing wall that is holding the new piece away from your 1 X 4 so it doesn't draw up nice and tight.

Don't be alarmed about this. Call it experience. We all have to learn somehow, sometime and Whatever mistake you made this time you will never make again. There are plenty of other mistakes yet to make.

Enjoy the process of learning something new.