fixing tear in drywall

Old 09-01-09, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fixing tear in drywall

Hello, I am repainting my kitchen and there are a couple of spots I need to fix first. They look like the top drywall layer is "peeled" off, almost like paper.How do I fix this?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 10:01 AM
Depends.

If it is in a conspicuous spot (or subject to regular humidity) and it is a small patch, I would replace the drywall. Cut out a square, replace with same thickness square, then tape and mud.

If it's inconspicuous, or enormous, and not subject to regular humidity, I would skim coat. First, I would prime the area. Then skim coat with mud, feathering the edges with the intact wall. Then prime over that.

I've done this a few times, most notably on a bedroom that we inherited with layers of stone-aged border paper that ripped the drywall paper off. 3 years later, you can't tell, and no troubles.

Also, depending on how big the patch is, you could layer in either drywall paper tape, or scrape the rock off of a piece of scrap drywall and use its paper.

Old 09-01-09, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
No need to replace the paper but you do need to prime the exposed gypsum before applying joint compound. It's best to use a solvent based primer. The moisture in latex primers can cause the edges of the paper to peel some more

Old 09-07-09, 10:55 PM
Smile Drywall Repair Response

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
No need to replace the paper but you do need to prime the exposed gypsum before applying joint compound. It's best to use a solvent based primer. The moisture in latex primers can cause the edges of the paper to peel some more
I have run into this situation with several bathrooms I have completed. Kilz works well on the drywall and I usually use a 20 or 45 minute set drywall compound to prevent bubbling.