Stucco Repair Exterior

Old 10-04-09, 08:48 PM
Stucco Repair Exterior

I repaired a large hole 6" x 7" in my exterior stucco wall with plywood.

I purchased a tub of stucco patch to patch over the plywood. I have seen where you need wire mesh in order for stucco to setup properly. However, the plywood is flush with the suface.

Will the stucco setup okay without wire mesh? the area to patch is fairly small.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need the wire lath to hold the stucco. You also need tar paper behind the lath to protect the plywood from moisture.

Old 10-05-09, 07:06 AM
As far as I now, the wire lath and felt paper only come in large rolls. Any suggestions?

What would I use to secure the lath to the plywood?

Old 10-05-09, 10:07 AM
Take the plywood out.
Carefully break away some of the existing stucco around the hole about a couple of inches on each side. Sometimes a hammer behind and one in front will let you crush the stucco without damaging the wire. You might damage the paper but try not to. When you have a couple of inches of wire exposed then take some paper or felt and put it behind the paper on the top and on top of the paper on the bottom. Some times a little roofing cement or caulk or adhesive of some kind helps to hold that paper in place.

Now if you have to buy material get a sheet of metal lath. Maybe with luck you can find a scrap piece somewhere where some plastering is being done. You want a piece a little larger than the new hole. If you can sedge it between the stucco and the wire. But maybe you can't do that so get some light, soft wire and tie the metal lath to the existing wire in as many places as you can to hold it well. If you happen to have a stud you can use a large headed screw or roofing nail to help hold that lath. Then you are ready to plaster. The first coat should embed the lath pretty well. let that set then give it a second coat and screed it off flush with the existing stucco. When it is pretty set but not completely hard cut it back about 1/8" then when it has set spread on a tight coat and texture it to match.

If you have some questions about that then post a picture and we can tell you how to texture it.

This is really simple even though it sounds complicated.

Old 10-06-09, 07:12 AM
I have hardware cloth and chicken wire. Will either of these work?.

I will have to buy the paper, but I would rather it be done correctly, so no big deal really.

Thanks.

Last edited by Stumped1; 10-06-09 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-09, 07:49 AM
Of the two, hardware cloth is probably better.
If there is a stud in the opening you could use chicken wire. For a hole this small you shouldn't have to buy some felt or building paper. Find a place where some roofing is being done and get some scrap felt. All you want to do is keep any moisture that gets through the stucco from getting any further in. You could even use some plastic trash bags for this the only thing is they don't have enough rigidity to go under the existing paper on top and to stick it over the paper on the bottom. The sides can go either way, just so you have some lap. Think like water and then keep it out.

I forgot to tell you the patch will probably crack unless you treat the edges of the opening. You could use some bonding agent like Quickcrete Concrete bonder. This comes in quarts and you brush it on the edges of the opening. let it dry then do your patch. Or you could mix up some Portland cement slurry in water to a thick cream consistency and paint the edges with that. If you do it that way you do not want it to dry before you do the patch so mix up the material then paint the edges and spread it on. I told you to use two coats of the base. I think in a patch this small you can do it in one if you don't mix the mud too thin. Press some into your wire or hardware cloth to get it well embedded then put more on and screed it off flush. If it sags a little wait until it is firmer then fill it full again andscreed it off again. Then when it is quite firm cut it back 1/8" to leave room for the finish. What kind of texture does the wall have now?
Can you post a picture? I can tell you how to match it.

As I write this I think it is easier to do the job than to tell about it.

Old 10-11-09, 03:13 PM
You were right, it wasn't too difficult. I got lucky and found scrap piece of tar paper lying on the floor at big box. I cut the paper to size, then secured the hardware cloth over it and filled in with the pre-mix stucco patch.

Thanks.

Old 10-14-09, 07:11 AM
The first coat is done and I am waiting for it to completely cure. I forgot to do the cement prep and there's a small crack. I think in part because the hole was deeper than I thought and it was sagging a bit while it setup, probably should have done this in two small patches.

I have some cement crack repair in the tube, can I use this to prep the second coat?

Old 10-14-09, 08:57 AM
I don't know.
Try this Wet the crack and mix up a slurry of Portland cement pretty runny, like paint and brush it into the crack and keep doing that until it is full. You can't undo the crack but you can fill it with something with a little strength. Then finish.
Can you match the texture?