removing joint compound from Stucco

Old 10-24-09, 09:13 AM
removing joint compound from Stucco

There is a decent size area on the side of my house where the previous owners enclosed an area from the downstairs bathroom to the garage which was made into a bedroom. The exterior wall they enclosed leading to the garage was originally stucco but after looking at it more and more it looks like they used some sort of joint compound to fill in the stucco gaps and smooth the wall out. It seems to scrapr off like joint compound if you pick at it. I had planned on getting that side of the house re-stucco'd but started thinking outside the box. I am not sure but doesn't joint compound re-vert back to being soft if it gets wet again? I am thinking instead of having the whole side of my house re-stucco'd I may be able to hit it with a pressure washer and basically just wash away the compound used to level out the wall and reveal the original stucco. Is this possible or am I just thinking way to far outside of the box? I guess it can't hurt to try as it could end up saving me a lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-09, 09:48 AM
When I got about half way through your note that is the first thing I thought of. If it is ordinary joint compound it should wash right off. Might even work with a garden hose. Start from the side and get the stream under the paint. If it is setting compound it might be a little harder to get off but I think I would still start with a pressure washer. Renting of borrowing one is cheaper than painting the whole side.

Let us know how it works.

Old 10-24-09, 10:32 AM
gonna give it a shot today after work, I have a PW so thats a start, if its as half a$$ed as the rest of what the previous owner did it should come off easily. My house should actually look like a nice house in the near future once I completely re-do all the previous owners work.

Old 10-24-09, 06:22 PM
Well guess what, ITS WORKING!!! Taking me a while and I am making a complete mess but its saving me from having someone come in and completel re-stucco majority of the side of my house. Few quick questions, my pressure washer isn't real strong but its picking it apart slowly, how much pressure can stucco withstand? I have a air compressor and saw there is an attachment I can buy that basically makes it a pressure washer and you can get up there in PSI. Is there anything I can use to help break it down quicker? Maybe something that will help it just melt off. Only issue right now I see is the stucco is a different color, kind of a tan which I believe the house was originally but now the house is white, is that going to be an issue down the road or is it as simple and just hitting it with some paint meant for stucco?

Old 10-25-09, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wet the j/c and let it set for awhile [but not dry] that will help to soften up the j/c so the PWer doesn't have to work as hard. If you PW the rest of the stucco will it all be the same color? Stucco can always be primed and painted.

Old 10-25-09, 01:26 PM
The exterior was painted white not to long ago and the area where the stucco is a different color was now inside of a add-on that was just bypassed when the rest of the house got done