Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is this textured paint, plaster, or drywall compound, or?

11-06-09, 09:33 PM   #1  
Is this textured paint, plaster, or drywall compound, or?

Pictures by shelleyhouse - Photobucket

of varying thickness throughout whole house, using barrels of kilz to try to paint over it in a room painted dark dark purple, in a hall it can be scraped off in sheets, trying to figure out what it is and how to deal with it. Besides decorating it like a birthday cake.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

11-07-09, 10:39 AM   #2  
How old is your home?
Its a little hard to say by looking at the photos..but my guess - its probably plaster, applied by hand originally..and probably painted over, numerous times.
I dont know of a machine that could 'blow' that onto a ceiling to create that pattern ..
If you scrape it, is it powdery .. or coarse? - Powdery would lead me to think its drywall compound.. course could be plaster.

11-07-09, 12:36 PM   #3  
Posted By: jatco How old is your home?
Its a little hard to say by looking at the photos..but my guess - its probably plaster, applied by hand originally..and probably painted over, numerous times.
I dont know of a machine that could 'blow' that onto a ceiling to create that pattern ..
If you scrape it, is it powdery .. or coarse? - Powdery would lead me to think its drywall compound.. course could be plaster.
house built in 1901. So far it seems fine, ie powdery, though I didn't scrape the surface so much as used a mud knife to remove it in big sheets....I'm thinking it was applied to cover the bulging cracked lathe and plaster underneath, and make the walls look more uniform, it is harder to get off where it seems to have been applied over patches in the original wall.

CANADA

11-08-09, 09:49 AM   #4  
"...applied to cover the bulging cracked lathe and plaster underneath..."
Sounds familiar..did the same in my home..and then new drywll thru-out.
With a house of that age, you might want to be concerned about asbestos in those old walls.

Search this Thread