Problems with cracks..... please help

Old 11-08-09, 08:44 PM
Exclamation Problems with cracks..... please help

I've got an old brick house (90) with masonry outside walls and plaster inside walls. I keep noticing cracks in the plaster on both the walls and the ceiling. It seems that the cracks that I see are places where it has been repaired previously before I purchased the house 5 years ago. Some of the cracks have been there awhile and some are more recent.
I am getting frustrated with the sight of the cracks. What is the best way to once and for all fix these cracks in both the masonry walls and the plaster walls? How can I re-do the job someone did and make sure the cracks stay away?
Also, some rooms have more cracks than others. With the cracks in the ceiling, are those usually annoyance cracks, or do I need to start securing the plaster. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-09, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

The cracks may not have been repaired properly. Generally with plaster you can scratch out the cracks and fill them with a setting compound like durabond. Some use the ready mix buckets of joint compound but that doesn't work well when repairing plaster unless you also tape and finish the cracks like you would the seams in drywall.

One of our plaster pros should be along later with some better advice

Old 11-11-09, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by totchan55 View Post
I've got an old brick house (90) with masonry outside walls and plaster inside walls. I keep noticing cracks in the plaster on both the walls and the ceiling. It seems that the cracks that I see are places where it has been repaired previously before I purchased the house 5 years ago. Some of the cracks have been there awhile and some are more recent.
I am getting frustrated with the sight of the cracks. What is the best way to once and for all fix these cracks in both the masonry walls and the plaster walls? How can I re-do the job someone did and make sure the cracks stay away?
Also, some rooms have more cracks than others. With the cracks in the ceiling, are those usually annoyance cracks, or do I need to start securing the plaster. Thank you.
I would try to fix some of the cracks and then wait to see if the cracks appear again, indicating that some other method should be used.
Plastering could get rid of the cracks, by scraping the cracks with the edge of a paint scraper, then applying the plaster properly and then sand the surface and paint it.
Do you also have cracks in the masonry walls? What kind of masonry is it?

Old 11-12-09, 07:12 AM
I've never seen a crack repaired by digging it out and refilling it work. The only way is to tape it just as if it were a seam. I like to use paper tape and three coats of joint compound.

Old 11-12-09, 11:45 AM
I don't think you can uncrack a masonry wall. You can tape the cracks in the plaster as mgmine suggests.
The ceilings are probably plaster over wood lath. If there are sags in the plaster try plaster washers. If the lath are sound and the plaster is still well keyed to the lath fix the cracks with paper tape as suggested above.