Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing Gyprock/Drywall Platerboard Without DAMAGING IT

11-17-09, 06:39 PM   #1  
Removing Gyprock/Drywall Platerboard Without DAMAGING IT

Dear Folks
Could anybody please advise on the best method of removing Gyprock/Drywall plasterboard from hardwood Stud walls
without DAMAGING IT or at least minimal damage so that boards can be reused.
I wish to do this so i can insulate the wall cavity and then replace the plasterboard.

Last edited by woodsy10; 11-17-09 at 08:49 PM.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-18-09, 03:28 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Drywall is too inexpensive to try to save boards without damaging them. Refinishing a bad piece of drywall will be so labor intensive, it won't be worth it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-18-09, 03:52 AM   #3  
.... and other than a small piece of drywall removed for repairs, it would be too difficult to remove drywall and not damage it. The time saved by tearing the old drywall off and finishing new drywall [as oppose to old] would more than make up for any $ saved.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

11-20-09, 09:36 AM   #4  
Cellulose! I LOVE IT!!!

Have you heard about cellulose!? This is some great stuff and my home is stuffed w/ it!! I insulated my attic and walls w/ it. This would save you time and money doing it this way. It is easy to use and cheap.

The way I would recommend is to blow it in from the ext. of your home. If you have siding that isn't easily removed then you will probably have to do it from the inside of your house.

What you do is drill a hold the size of the adapter that the store gives you(mine were 1 7/8" holes. You do this at the top of each studded space. You can also drill a smaller hole to let air escape but if you do this inside your house, I would not recommend this, b/c it is dusty stuff. I didn't do this and when I tore our bathroom apart, the wall was stuffed full and no voids. It will get hung up on elec. wiring and what not but it does a good job.
Now if you do this from the outside of the house, just take a dowel cut to the thickness of the wood you drilled through put some caulking on it and stuff the hole and put your siding back up. If you do it from the inside you can just cut some circular drywall pieces and put some mud on them and after some mudding and sanding it will be good as new.

You can rent the machine from lowes or home depot and if you buy over 10 bags your machine rental fee is free. You will need to buy some good masks though b/c breathing this stuff in isn't fun. Its made of recycled newpaper, among other things and it is somewhat fire resistant. I took a light to a handfull of it and it took a while for it to start to burn a little.

I am no pro. carpenter or anything but I have used this stuff a lot and love it. Also will make your house quiter. I saved about 800 bucks the first winter and that was with the oil prices about 1 dollar/gal. higher than the previous yr. First yr was 3200 dollars in heating oil and the 2nd yr was about 2350. That is from Oct. to April.

Hope this helps, its long but do some research. Its an easy do it yourself project.!!

Search this Thread