Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

First Time Home Buyer (prepping the walls to repaint)

Old 12-10-09, 06:27 AM

As I was removing the nails and screws that were left in the living walls from the previous owner i notice there would be a hole about 2 times as big as the nail or screw head. I also noticed that if I ran my fingernail across the wall, there would be a scratch mark left on the wall maybe an eighth inch deep. I just wanted to know if this is a serious problem or if it's just first time home buyer nerves.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-09, 06:51 AM
Walls

What is the wall surface? Paneling,drywall,plaster?

Old 12-10-09, 08:10 AM
The living room walls are plaster.

Old 12-10-09, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How old is the home? Is the exposed plaster dusty? 1/8" is pretty deep, have those areas been patched before?
Maybe a pic or two will help us understand what you have;
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 12-14-09, 09:20 PM
Curiosity

Some of the questions i would raise up is.
What wall is this. Is this on a cold wall, is this wall a interior wall. Is there any plumbing, how old is the house. 1/8th inch is pretty deep. Is there moisture getting into the wall. Was there a leak in the roof, which caused the drywall to get damp. The previous h/o. Not to scare you. But if that is the case, it is a easy fix. Tear the drywall off and install new drywall, stagger all joints and tape and mud all joints. But if youf eel this is to much to do. Then take the time to look at the texture. See what type of texture they used. If it is knock down. Tear it down. If it is orange peel. Easy, take 40 mintue mud from home depot, fill in the grooves your nail made. (dont make any more grooves)
Second, all the holes. Take a utility knife and round the holes, so the paper gets cut out. Use regular mud or some of the 40 min mud to fill those holes. about a hr after, take a sponge and wipe off the holes. Now if you use regular mud, come back the next day with a sponge and wipe it clear. Next is pick up some spray texture cans and spray it on. Now if you want to get courageous. Get a hopper and a air compressor and spray it on.