Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Filling gap between sheetrock return and window

Old 01-14-10, 08:59 AM

All of my windows have drywall returns. In my bedroom, I have a 6'x5' double window with a 6' diameter half circle on top. The arch portion of the drywall return is in pretty bad shape where it meets the window. I cut back the damaged sections and am was left with a gap of about an inch between the return and the window all the way around the arch.

Eventually, I am planning on replacing that window, but I'm waiting for Marvin to release half rounds in the line I am putting in the rest of the house, so it will most likely be a couple of years before it is replaced.

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this? I was thinking about using a foam backer rod and then either caulking or filling with patching plaster or joint compound. However, I'm guessing putting joint compound over a foam backer rod is a recipe for cracks, so I'm leaning towards caulk.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-10, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understand correctly, you have 3 options. You could use the backer rod and caulk, flat tape or replace the damaged drywall - 1/4" drywall does a decent job of bending, especially if you wet it a little.

Old 01-15-10, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
If I understand correctly, you have 3 options. You could use the backer rod and caulk, flat tape or replace the damaged drywall - 1/4" drywall does a decent job of bending, especially if you wet it a little.
When you say flat tape, are you referring to paper drywall tape? Since the gap is between the drywall return and the window, the tape wouldn't be "bridging" anything. The only thing I could think of is to lay the tape around the arch so that the outside edge of the tape is butted up against the window, which would leave about 1" of the tape spanning the gap and the rest of the tape would be over the existing drywall. I would then just mud over everything. Would that work to have a portion of the tape with nothing underneath it were it is spanning the gap?

Old 01-15-10, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You prefill the gap with j/c and let it dry, then tape and finish as you normally would.That will hide the fact that the drywall doesn't meet the window like it should..... and yes you use the paper tape.

This prevents the mud from cracking. This method is often used when drywall butts up to a different type of wall and you want to make the joint neater. There will still be a need for caulking - but a little bead is all that's needed.