paint peeling on the drywall

Old 01-20-10, 06:29 PM
paint peeling on the drywall

: will someone please tell me what i need to do to repaint drywall that the paint is peeling, what I need as far as tools and paints. thank you BG

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-10, 06:39 PM
repainting drywall that old paint is peeling

I need someones professional oppinion, I have a room that some one painted for me, Drywall, the paint is peeling in certain spots. I'd like to repaint, what do I need to do to fix this problem. how do you get the paint thats peeling off and what kind of paints should I use. Thanks B.G.

Old 01-20-10, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
You say the paint is peeling, I guess a couple additional questions come to mind.

Where is the peeling located- interior wall, an exterior wall, near the ceiling, in a bathroom, etc? Moisture can have a lot to do with why paint peels.

And in the areas where the paint is peeling, I am guessing that maybe you are not down to bare drywall? Is there another layer of paint BEHIND the paint that is peeling? Sometimes the paint peels because it can't bond to the surface it was applied to... dirty, oily, shiny, etc. Sometimes oil based paints will cause adhesion problems if the wall was not properly prepped prior to painting. Tell us what you can about the paint you see BEHIND the areas where it is peeling. Does it feel very glossy? Oily? Dusty/powdery? Is there any staining?

The answers to those questions might help us give you a decent answer. You can also include pictures in your post if you have first uploaded them to a website (like photobucket) that you can link to. And welcome to the DIY forums.

Old 01-21-10, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

It would also help to know what type/brand of paint was used when it was repainted, what shape was the wall in prior to painting, what prep [if any] was done to ready the wall for paint. How long ago was it painted? When did the peeling start?