Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Do I need a corner bead on beam's tapered joint?

Old 02-03-10, 08:03 AM

I have a beam that we put drywall on, and I am scratching my head over how to finish the bottom seam where the drywall on the side meets the one on the bottom. The other side of the beam has a butt joint, so I know it needs a corner bead. The side of the beam I am wondering about has 2 tapered edges and makes a really nice corner. Do I really need a corner bead? Can I just tape it with the mesh? I wish I didn't have to wrap the mesh around the corner, it's such a nice edge, but I guess I would have to. What I really would like to do is just fill it in with joint compound and not use any tape, but I think that would be asking for cracks later. I have a pic I can send if I am confusing, lol. Thanks for helping this newbie!
Laura

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-10, 08:42 AM
Outside corner bead helps form a nice corner shape, but they also cover the exposed edge of a panel and protect the corner.
But if I'm missing your point then ya might as well post your picture for everyone else!

Old 02-03-10, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
I would still suggest putting corner bead on all corners. The factory finished tapered edge will not give a crisp corner that the corner bead will. It will also be easier to finish.

Old 02-03-10, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure I totally understand but all outside corners should have corner bead.

If we've misunderstood, provide a pic or two

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 02-03-10, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Also, you mention mesh but it has been the experience of those here that paper tape works better than the mesh.

Old 02-03-10, 04:06 PM
OK, I learned how to attach a photo!

Here's a pic, that was easier than I thought. Sounds like I just need to suck it up and put on corner bead, though. It's not that I'm lazy, of course, just efficient with my time. ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Last edited by doodlehound; 02-03-10 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-03-10, 05:12 PM
Why do you hate cornerbeads? Because you have to blend in the ridge with compound? Well in this case you'll have the taper to blend to. Should look great!

sidenote - If you left it like that you would see the taper. You know? Not that it isn't a very handsome looking corner.

Old 02-03-10, 06:38 PM
Gonna do it! Thanks.

Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Why do you hate cornerbeads? Because you have to blend in the ridge with compound? Well in this case you'll have the taper to blend to. Should look great!

sidenote - If you left it like that you would see the taper. You know? Not that it isn't a very handsome looking corner.
I guess I don't like them because I haven't done many, and I have to fight with them. By the time I finish, I guess I will not be as intimidated, huh? Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Wish me luck.