Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Patching and painting holes in drywall makes obvious texture differences

Patching and painting holes in drywall makes obvious texture differences

Old 02-04-10, 05:06 AM
Unhappy Patching and painting holes in drywall makes obvious texture differences

I took down some shelves a few weeks ago, and some of the paint pulled off the wall. It looks like the previous owner did not prime the drywall, because the paint took off all the layers right to the white drywall. I've been patching these holes and the shelf screw holes with Poly filler, smoothing it over with a small putty knife, sanding it with fine grade paper to smooth it into the rest of the wall. It looked and felt okay, but when I painted it (using a small roller), it was painfully obvious. Every fix was clear b/c of texture and it had the optical illusion of being raised up. (I think it was an optical illusion). Should I have sanded with heavier grade paper? Should I have used drywall putty instead of Poly filler? It's a pretty bad job, and in a spot that will be seen a lot b/c I'm going to mount a TV right below the main damage!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a straightedge to see if it's fairly level.

Generally repairs need to be textured to make them blend in, even on slick finish walls if they have multiple coats of paint rolled on. The 2 best ways to duplicate the texture is to either take joint compound, thin it down and apply it with a sponge [spray large areas with a hopper gun] or buy one of those aerosol cans of orange peel texture. If you don't get it right the first time you can either scrape it off while wet or sand the texture off when dry [sands easy but dusty]

Old 02-24-10, 01:49 PM
I bought orange peel texture spray and it went on waaay too chunky, even when I dialed it down. Would it be possible just to roll a bunch of layers of paint to match the texture? Right now you can see these small (3" diameter) smooth marks where the repairing and sanding took place!

Old 02-24-10, 03:52 PM
It would probably be faster to roll some thinned down joint compound over the patches to get some texture then try to paint them. You can put some paint in the mud too. This might help the suction be more like the rest of the wall.