Repairing cementboard

Old 03-06-10, 05:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing cementboard

Hi All,

We've got a bathroom that has some problems, as you can see from these three pictures.

So, I'm wondering what the repair is at this point. Do I need to rip that whole strip of cornerbead off and replace that bit of cementboard? Or can I do some other kind of repair? Is there a spackle-type substance that I can use that will hold up in an environment like that, and i can just put some mesh up and mud it over, prime it, and paint it?

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions. I've never done repair of cementboard before. Is it much different than drywall?

Old 03-06-10, 05:47 PM
J
It's mostly stiff to the touch, but does have a few soft spots

I should have said--it's mostly stiff to the touch, but it does have a few soft spots where you can feel it giving a little when you push on it. But it's not about to collapse or anything--just not as stiff as you'd expect it to be if it was a single piece that was installed recently (and done right). It seems to have cracked somewhere and you can feel the crack flexing when you push on it.

Old 03-07-10, 05:36 AM
J
It's not wallpaper

It's definitely latex paint, you can tell by the texture, the rubber feeling, and the lack of any adhesive on the wall or on the back of the paint that's been peeled off the wall.

The bathroom is vented, it has a standard exhaust fan. But maybe it's not working well? I'll have to check on that and see if there's something I need to do to improve the venting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: