Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spray on or roll on orange peel texture

CAL

03-07-10, 12:04 PM   #1  
spray on or roll on orange peel texture

I need to texture a area of drywall that replaced a door.
Here are some pics of the texture's. I took several pics because the texture varies along the wall.
Do you recommend the spray on stuff or use a 1/2" nap paint roller.
If I use the spray can, how many cans do i need.
The area is about 80x34 inches.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-07-10, 02:26 PM   #2  
Don't even think of spraying. You have a much better chance of getting an even coat with a roller.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-07-10, 03:00 PM   #3  
The 2nd pic looks like knock down - it's hard to duplicate with a roller. Normally it's a splatter coat that is sprayed on and then flattened out with a wide knife. You might be able to roll on a rough coat and then smooth it out after it starts to dry.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

03-07-10, 03:11 PM   #4  
Yeah, my walls are a hodge podge of textures. "the wall I am doing looks more like the red wall pictured. But it does have some sort of knock down.
So I should get a 1/2" nap roller, then let it dry some, then knock it down?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-07-10, 03:18 PM   #5  
You should be able to match the red wall with a 1/2" roller cover. The nice thing about working with joint compound is if it doesn't turn out right, you can scrape it off while wet, sand it down when dry and in some cases just redo it. I'd roll on the texture and see how it dries, you can almost wait until the last minute to get a light knockdown effect.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

03-07-10, 03:25 PM   #6  
thanks to all. Will let ya know how it goes.

03-07-10, 08:28 PM   #7  
The texture in the orange picture looks to be sprayed on and knocked down while still fairly wet. The picture in white actually looks like someone tried to copy the effect but used a wet sponge. causing the mud to grab and pull leaving finger like streaks. if i was able to see the room or the house in general i would better be able to determine which was original and be more helpful.

CAL

03-10-10, 08:40 PM   #8  
I am pretty happy with the results using this roller.
Here are the results.

Here is the rollers I used.

I made the mud like pancake batter. Rolled it on the drywall with the funky looking roller, then after it dried a bit, I ran over it with the thick nap roller dry. Worked pretty good. It might be a bit rougher than what I had, but my friends say it looks real close. I think if I had sanded it a little, it would be even closer to the original.

CAL

03-11-10, 03:33 PM   #9  
I think I like the look of the new better than the old. A couple of photos from not quite straight on to eliminate the glare from the flash would show us even more.

I like your trick with two different rollers.

Thanks for letting us see the finished product.

03-20-10, 07:01 PM   #10  
I'm so glad I found your post. I've been trying to figure out just how to get the plaster on the ceiling fairly evenly. The roller will work great. Hopefully I can knock it down without buying one of those huge knock down trowels.

Search this Thread