drywall to wonderboard?

Old 03-21-10, 01:41 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall to wonderboard?

I'm drywalling and doing wonderboard (concrete board) in my bathroom. Obviously the wonderboard is in the shower/tub surround.

My question is how do I tape and mud the joints between the wonderboard and drywall? All the boards are in now and I've realized that the wonderboard goes farther out of the shower stall than I'm planning to tile.

Can I just tape mud and sand it like I would if it was all drywall and will the wonderboard look okay/match drywall when painted? Also on the wonderboard if I got drywall mud on it then sanded would the mortar for the tiles stick to that okay?

THANKS!

Old 03-21-10, 02:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can mud, tape and finish the wonder board to blend in with the drywall. You'll need to skim all the exposed cement board with j/c to make it blend.

Ready mix j/c is water soluble so any j/c that gets on the cement board should be washed off. I wouldn't worry about little minor areas of j/c. You'll want to prime and paint where the j/c meets and goes under the tile...... or you can use a setting compound like durabond. They're not water soluble but they are hard to sand

Old 03-21-10, 02:48 PM
T
cool thankyou. Thats what I wanted to hear!

Old 04-11-10, 07:44 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
durabond

thats what popped into my head upon reading your question. less likely to crack on your seems as well. also known in my circles as "green bag" or "medium set".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: