Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Minor Drywall repair after removing wallpaper

Old 03-23-10, 03:46 PM

I recently completed removing wallpaper in my kitchen and plan to paint it but have a slight problem. In some areas, what I think is primer, has peeled off and is quite noticeable when covered with paint samples. The effected areas were caused when my water/fabric softener mixture over saturated the spot and peeled off along with the wall paper. The largest areas are about the size of DVD. I have a little experience with drywall and I know just enough to be dangerous! Are there any compounds that y'all can think of that I could use to smooth out these rough spots? I can't wait to paint because I am so glad to be finished removing the wallpaper but I want to do this properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-10, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure it's paint and not the drywall paper face that's peeled?

At any rate it's best to start with an oil base primer or zinnser's gardz. These primers will do 2 things. It will prevent the moisture in latex paint/primer and/or in joint compound from doing any further damage and will seal in any wallpaper adhesive that didn't get removed.

After the primer has dried use joint compound to apply a skim coat over the affected areas, sand lightly when dry and then prime [you can use latex primer this time, or left over oil primer would be ok too]

Old 03-24-10, 06:40 AM
thanks you marksr for the quick reply! This forum has so much great advice for projects I thought were out of my league. I can't wait to finish the kitchen and tackle some new projects!

Cheers!