Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

old "waterproof" drywall above my shower

SC

04-27-10, 06:36 AM   #1  
old "waterproof" drywall above my shower

dywall (8 years old) has swelled some around edges and is pretty badly spotted, but not falling apart..i need to replace peeling wallpaper trim at ceiling and repaint..

how do i know if the drywall must be replaced?..is there a certain type paint to use on waterproof drywall in such a wet location..any info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-27-10, 12:14 PM   #2  
Usually when drywall starts to swell - it's on it's last legs. It also usually gets softer at that point. The spots are probably mildew that needs to be washed off. If they can't be removed with bleach, then the drywall probably has mold and should be removed

Enamel paint and using a properly sized exhaust fan to remove the moisture is the best defense for protecting the drywall. If the ceiling cleans up and is fairly solid, a coat or two of latex enamel will help. A kitchen and bath paint would be even better. K&B paints are formulated for the harsher environment of kitchens and baths. They also have extra mildewcide.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread