Drywall seam

Old 07-11-10, 12:35 PM
Drywall seam

The ceiling seam has been getting worse I taped it with paper tape and finished again however, over time it has looked like it split again. I screwed the seam too where it split before retaping and finishing but over time it has began to sag again. Rip down and redue? Glue and screw the seams? Anytips? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-10, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to find and address the cause of the problem. One would think rescrewing the drywall would have fixed it are the framing members you screwed to solid and secure?

If the framing is solid and the drywall secure - the problem must be with the finishing, maybe not enough mud under the tape to secure the tape well.

Old 07-12-10, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with Mark - you've done pretty much everything possible to the drywall, next step is to figure out what's moving and causing this to continue to crack

Old 07-13-10, 08:02 AM
You say it has cracked out again "over time". How much time has passed?

Old 07-14-10, 06:58 PM
About 3 months? I finshed my basement a while back (2 years ago) and I was also wondering if that has anything to do with it too. I plan on updating my kitchen in the near future so I am prob going tear out all the old drywall and put new up anyway. Just kinda wondering what it would have cracked. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 07-15-10, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there living area above the cracked drywall? The framing might not be stout enough

Old 07-15-10, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Something is causing movement in your ceiling and that's why the seam keeps cracking