Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall seam

PA

07-11-10, 12:35 PM   #1  
Drywall seam

The ceiling seam has been getting worse I taped it with paper tape and finished again however, over time it has looked like it split again. I screwed the seam too where it split before retaping and finishing but over time it has began to sag again. Rip down and redue? Glue and screw the seams? Anytips? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-11-10, 01:46 PM   #2  
You need to find and address the cause of the problem. One would think rescrewing the drywall would have fixed it are the framing members you screwed to solid and secure?

If the framing is solid and the drywall secure - the problem must be with the finishing, maybe not enough mud under the tape to secure the tape well.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

07-12-10, 05:21 AM   #3  
I agree with Mark - you've done pretty much everything possible to the drywall, next step is to figure out what's moving and causing this to continue to crack

KS

07-13-10, 08:02 AM   #4  
You say it has cracked out again "over time". How much time has passed?

PA

07-14-10, 06:58 PM   #5  
About 3 months? I finshed my basement a while back (2 years ago) and I was also wondering if that has anything to do with it too. I plan on updating my kitchen in the near future so I am prob going tear out all the old drywall and put new up anyway. Just kinda wondering what it would have cracked. Thanks for all the advice!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-15-10, 04:45 AM   #6  
Is there living area above the cracked drywall? The framing might not be stout enough

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

07-15-10, 06:52 AM   #7  
Something is causing movement in your ceiling and that's why the seam keeps cracking

Search this Thread