Sheetrock Tips

Old 09-09-10, 06:58 PM
Sheetrock Tips

We're remodeling our bathroom and I need to replace some sheetrock on the wall above the tub, which I removed along with the tile, and another area where we removed a towel closet. I'm worried that the butt joint will be noticeable if it spans the full height of the wall so I was wondering if its a good idea to stagger the joints. Also, is there a way to recess butt joints slightly to make the joint easier to patch and make it less visible? If possible, should the butt joint fall on a stud? Since the section of sheetrock above the tub will be less then four feet, should I hang the sheet vertically with the tapered part towards the joint?

Also, I'm looking at a gypsum application guide (very helpful) which states that water-resistant gypsum board (green board) shall not be placed over any vapor barrier. Does this mean I need to remove the vapor barrier from the insulation on the exterior wall before installing the green board?

Last edited by mossman; 09-09-10 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You always want to stagger the butt joints!

If you can hang 1 sheet without any joints - that's the way to hang that board, otherwise the rock should be hung perpendicular to the framing.

IMO green board has out lived it's usefulness. It's not a good backer for tile and it doesn't always paint well. Regular drywall, primed and painted with a latex enamel should have all the moisture protection it needs.

Old 09-10-10, 01:05 PM
I plan on using Hardybacker for the tiled areas and regular sheetrock for the remainder of the bathroom.

Old 09-10-10, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Section above tub less than 4 feet? Where? One of the end walls? What is next to it that less than 4 feet works, with no further explanation as to what is adjacent? Just curious.

After re-reading your post about the 4 feet business - do you mean that it is less than 4 feet up and down, or less than 4 feet side to side? If say you mean less than 4 feet up and down, I dont'tknow how it can be less than 4 feet off the top of a tub, as it be more than that up to any standard ceiling.

Old 09-10-10, 07:01 PM
Four feet wide, maybe 5 feet tall. I've actually decided to tear all the drywall out on that wall and replace the insulation and install an air gap (I think).