Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling sheetrock tips needed

TN

09-14-10, 06:07 AM   #1  
Ceiling sheetrock tips needed

I hired a contractor to install 3 recessed lights in my kitchen ceiling using old construction lighting cans. Of course he had to cut the sheetrock to run the wires. Now I'm stuck with his attempt at matching the ceiling design/texture to that of the existing ceiling. Can anyone tell me how to match the design / texture.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-14-10, 07:20 AM   #2  
The texture in a spray can works pretty well but you need to learn a little technique first - practice on waste wood or cardboard until you can match the look of your ceiling, then proceed to spraying on the ceiling

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-14-10, 09:51 AM   #3  
What kind of texture is on the ceiling?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NV

09-16-10, 08:28 PM   #4  
Ceiling Patches

I am assuming he has put the little squares back in the ceiling that he used to fish the wires and you or your contractor mudded over them. Make sure the patch is completely flush with ceiling, take a wet sponge like tile setters use, run it around the patch, smooth out the mud seam completely, if they are small patches a can of texture maybe used, match up the thickness and spray pattern on a piece of cardboard, you can try in the ceiling and if you don't like it, wipe it with the sponge and do it again. depending on the type of texture, if it is a heavy looking knock down,(smushed look), you will need to take a 6" or 8" wide puddy knife and after 5-10 minutes very lightly drag it over your new texture. When trying to blend new texture with existing, spray a wide area around your patch. Before painting look at your texture closely, you may need to very lightly drag some 200 grit sand paper over it, to sort of smooth it out, to ensure it won't flash. Maybe you might want to dab the wet sponge around the perimeter as well. you will probably need to paint several coats to get it to blend with existing texture that has already been painted.

Search this Thread