Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall tape joints cracked

CANADA

09-25-10, 04:32 PM   #1  
drywall tape joints cracked

used cloth tape, now joints have cracked, whats best way to fix

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

09-25-10, 05:36 PM   #2  
Not a lot of info...but could be the mud was too wet or too thick. How many coats...was this the first coat?

Butt joints? Were they tapered edge to tapered edge? What did you use for mud?

Welcome to the Forums...but more info is always more conducive to informed replies...

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-26-10, 04:48 AM   #3  
What do you mean by cloth tape?
Paper tape has a better track record than the mesh [sticky] tape.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

09-26-10, 03:58 PM   #4  
I am renovating my house, one room at a time, bathroom and kitchen, used fiberglass ( cloth to me ) tape, directly over all joints, then applied premixed drywall compound, 3 coats, sanded and painted. About a month later all the joints started to crack. Butt joints and tapered joints. Only thing I did different than I did in the past, was used the dustless compound. So figured that was the problem. Next room I did same process and used regular compound, no cracks at all. After all this I talked to a professioal drywaller, and he said never use the fiberglass tape as it moves,so now I've switched to paper tape.
My question is not how the tape joints cracked, but what is the best way to repair the cracks, I was told to v out the cracks, lay in some mud and paper tape over and re mud the joints, this is what I intend on doing, when I get to it, but was wondering if that is the best way, or to take the original joint right back to the drywall and start over with paper tape and use jointing compound to do the taping

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-27-10, 04:21 AM   #5  
You should be able to tape over the cracked tape. It will build that portion of the wall out slightly so you need to figure out if that will pose a problem. If the cracked tape removes easily, I'd remove it but it probably won't be that cooperative About the only way you can use the sticky tape [mesh] without having problems is if you use a setting compound [like durabond] over the tape.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

09-27-10, 07:46 AM   #6  
The problem is when using fiberglass mesh tape, it is best to use the powder type mud like durabond 90, or durabond 45. this is a much harder mix then the premixed when dry. Before I tape drywall I first fill all gaps with durabond then mud & tape over. Take a utility knife cut the crack to make a groove then fill with durabond, then you can mud & tape over with the premixed & float it out.

Search this Thread