remove cornerbead?

Old 11-06-10, 01:33 PM
remove cornerbead?

We are redoing our family room and have hung all the drywall ourselves. While not sure how to do the mudding and taping we decided to do inside and outside corner beading but now have realized that is not the best option. We used spray adhesive to apply it and the paper tape that is attached to the corner bead is coming away from the drywall in places. We would rather now do paper tape in the corners to finish. Is there a way to remove the corner beading now that it has been adhered to the wall? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-10, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Corner bead should only be used on the outside corners.

I assume you used the vinyl corner bead. It may be difficult to remove since you also used an adhesive. Is just the tape coming loose? or is the corner bead also loosing it's bond? If it's just the tape, I'd cut out that part and remud it. You'll probably need to cut and pry off the corner bead. If any of the face paper gets removed from the drywall, you'll likely need to coat those areas with a solvent based primer or Zinnser's Gardz before applying more joint compound.

Old 11-07-10, 04:03 AM
we used the metal/paper corner bead. that is the issue. the paper is coming up off the drywall in certain places. we did not mud underneath, just used the spray adhesive and stuck it to the wall. When I say "we" I'm meaning my husband and a friend. I'm now trying to fix the mistake. Trying to hire someone isn't easy. no one wants to come fix the job, my husband wants nothing more to do with the room, I'm feeling stuck and just want the room finished. He told me the whole job would take about a month but we're going on almost 6 months. So between taking care or our 8 month old daughter all day I'm trying to figure out how to mud, tape or whatever needs to be done to our drywall! : ) help!!!! and why do they make inside corner bead if you aren't supposed to use it on inside corners?

Old 11-07-10, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That type of corner bead is usually used when you have an off angle like the wall/ceiling angle on a 1 and a half story house. I'm a painter not a drywall finisher but I always thought that type of corner bead was embedded in the the joint compound.

Assuming it is just the paper part you are having trouble with - cut out the loose paper and replace with j/c and paper tape. If you can cut the middle of the metal part, you might be able to peel the metal tape off of the wall. Having used an adhesive instead of j/c complicates the removal.

Old 11-07-10, 10:03 AM
you definitely should have put mud under that kind of bead. But spray glue should do a fair job holding it on. Like Marksr says, go ahead and cut away all the loose paper. If its a lot that is loose then you have to put mud and paper tape over the bead.

Search this Thread