Cracks Along Wall/Corner in Bonus Room

Old 01-08-11, 06:34 AM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracks Along Wall/Corner in Bonus Room

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. Our house is 3 years old and in the bonus room above the garage we're seeing cracks where the exterior wall meets the ceiling. Kinda like the wall has pulled away from the ceiling. Can't tell if it's just cracks in the drywall mud or in the tape itself. We don't see this anywhere else in the house.

Two questions:

What might be causing this? We use a treadmill in that area - could the weight and the bouncing be causing this? Is the house settling in that area?

What's the best way to repair this?

Old 01-08-11, 09:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Could you supply us with a pic or two? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

It's hard to say without seeing or knowing more about the cracks. It could be caused by settling or might be from poor workmanship. The fix could be as simple as a little caulking or the tape might need to removed and redone. I assume the floor feels solid.

Old 01-08-11, 01:07 PM
D
doc
Thanks, marksr for the quick reply. Here are some pics. You can probably tell the bonus room is framed by the roof trusses.

It would be interesting to know if using the treadmill has contributed to this, but that's less important than fixing the problem.

I'm trying not to get too anxious about this - probably nothing, even common......

Last edited by doc; 01-08-11 at 01:26 PM. Reason: fix link to pictures
Old 01-08-11, 01:23 PM
D
doc
Huhm. Not sure the link to the pics is showing correctly. Here it is again -

Last edited by doc; 01-08-11 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fix link to pictures
Old 01-08-11, 01:31 PM
D
doc
one more try to post link to pics

Okay - one more try to post the link to the pics!

Pictures by docspencer1 - Photobucket

Old 01-08-11, 02:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe it's the tape that is cracked on the edge. While the correct fix would be to remove those portions of tape and redo [remove, tape, mud, texture, prime] it isn't worth the effort. I'd caulk the cracks and touch up the paint. If there is little to no more movement - that should be a more or less permanent fix. It is something you'd want to keep an eye on until your satisfied there is no structural problem.

Old 01-08-11, 07:45 PM
D
doc
Thanks, marksr. I'm still intrigued about why this is happening only in this room and not others around the house. Other than this, we've only had a small handful of nail pops in the ceilings around the rest of the house.

In any event, I'm happy to hear I can fix this with caulk. I'll definitely keep an eye on things.

Again, thanks!

Old 01-09-11, 05:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There are many possible causes. Settling, j/c thinned too much, cold weather - just to name a few. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless it returns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: