Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Caulk in drywall corners & ceiling instead of tape and mud

Old 02-04-11, 04:31 PM

I just finished putting up new drywall in a bathroom and was about to start the tedious task of using tape and mud where the drywall meets each other in the corners and the ceiling. (I already taped and mudded the edges of the panels on the wall surface).

Since the walls will be painted white, I was thinking of just using white caulking in all corners.

Will this idea work? It sure seems a lot easier than taping and mudding corners.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It might be easier but it would be difficult to make it look good and as wide as the caulk joint will be in places it would be hard for the caulk to hold up without separating in places. The color of the paint really doesn't make any difference.

Old 02-09-11, 03:07 PM
Won't work, especially in a bathroom. Eventually the seams will open up as the caulk shrinks and expands. Moisture from a bathroom will only make this worse.

Old 02-11-11, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think taping corners is all that bad a job

You are using paper tape, right?

Old 02-13-11, 08:42 AM
definitely tape it!

You definitely want to tape it, and make sure you are using an all purpose mud to tape it, as a light weight mud doesn't have the glue content need to properly bond the tape to the sheetrock. the problem with caul is as was stated earlier, is it will shrink, and expose he sheetrock to the steam and moisture, and sheetrock is Not moisture proof, not even the Moisture Resistant styles.then you will have paper peeling from the face of the sheetrock. also, finishing the angles completely fills in the beveled factory edge you probably have against the ceiling, on the sidewalls.