help with texture identification

Old 02-15-11, 10:45 AM
help with texture identification

We're in the process of buying a house that's going to need a lot of work. The first thing we're looking at though is the ceiling texture. Every ceiling in the house is textured, as is about half of the walls. I've googled my brain out, but I can't find out what it is.

It's not a typical popcorn ceiling, or a brushed look. It's not a knockdown type. I would describe it as similar to a slapbrush texture, but it's very thick. Ney, extremely thick! The texture is pointy, so it's not knocked down at all. Is this technique named something special so I can find out more about it?

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. My options are: 1) sand the crap out of it and then try the spray and scrape technique. My fear is that I'd end up with a wavy ceiling that looks weird once painted. 2) Knock everything down and rehang drywall. Not a good idea since I don't want to deal with insulation in the ceiling, and all interior walls are insulated, too. 3) Or learn to live with it.

The house was built by the first owner. As in he was the actual builder. So I don't know if he had a few beers and then decided to texture the ceilings or what.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Old 02-15-11, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Unfortunately, no. We're not in the house for another couple of weeks. I'm trying to get a plan together for what I need to buy and get ready to do. But no pictures.

Old 02-15-11, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Without seeing it, I'm guessing as to what you actually have but I would think you could knock down the stalagtites and skim coat the rest smooth with joint compound

Old 02-15-11, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing it might be a form of stomp texture. Most are done with either a crow foot brush or a round brush. How much the j/c is thinned determines how prominent the texture is. Since he built the house himself, he may have used texture to make up for poor finishing skills

You can probably get by with scraping the tips off using a wide knife - that should still paint ok. Skim coating will likely be a big job but would give the nicest results.

Old 02-15-11, 08:02 PM
Try shaving the points off. You might even like the way that looks.

Old 03-22-11, 04:18 AM
Here are a few pictures of the texture (sorry for the long delay). The thickness differs in different places throughout the house. The thing you see in the first and last pictures is one of those electrical conduits (I forget what they're actually called) that has wiring for a ceiling fan in the room.

Old 03-22-11, 04:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is an unusual texture. It looks like he may have rolled it on and maybe patted it with a sponge. Unless you have luck with scraping - I suspect skim coating would be best.