Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

finishing paper-faced bullnose corner bead

AZ

02-20-11, 05:48 PM   #1  
finishing paper-faced bullnose corner bead

Can anyone provide any tips as to how to finish paper-faced metal bullnose bead where the paper has been nicked or scraped? I keep trying to mud over the scrapes, but inevitably when I sand, the mud comes right off of the damaged paper. I'm doing a smooth finish on the walls, so I won't have texture to hide it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-11, 02:45 AM   #2  
You need to do a lighter sanding job or possibly float the j/c out over a longer area. Another method would be to get it as decent as you can, prime and then fill in the scratches after the primer dries. Those spots would need to be reprimed.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

AZ

02-21-11, 12:28 PM   #3  
Thanks. I used all-metal bullnose bead on another project and had zero problems. I don't think I'll be using the paper-faced kind again. I will also avoid the vinyl corner pieces. I'm having problems hiding the seams between those and the bead too.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-21-11, 03:50 PM   #4  
I've always used the metal corner beads. There are some that tape the corner bead - that might make the seam easier to hide.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

CANADA

02-22-11, 08:53 PM   #5  
Bizillcizole:

I would mix some white wood glue into your joint compound. That should help the joint compound stick better and dry harder (but still soft enough to sand smooth).

I used to use metal corner bead, but now I won't consider anything except vinyl corner bead.

To install vinyl corner bead, I just cut it to 3 or 4 foot lengths for easier handling. Then I mix up some white wood glue with water and use that solution to mix up my powdered joint compound. The result is a sticky mud that dries harder than normal (but not too hard to sand smooth) and use that sticky mud to glue the corner bead on. The flanges on vinyl corner bead are perforated, so you can use a putty knife to press the corner bead tight into the corner, and any excess sticky mud will come oozing out of those perforations. You can then either scrape it off or use it as the first coat of joint compound over the corner bead.

Trim-Tex makes vinyl corner bead in both regular and bullnose styles and any of the drywall wholesalers in your area should carry it and will sell to you.

Trim-Tex Inc - The premier manufacturer of vinyl corner beads.

Last edited by Nestor; 02-22-11 at 09:10 PM.

Search this Thread